Re: splint giving error message

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, amit mehta wrote:

I came to know about splint while going through the doc at kernelnewbie.org. i couldn't find any forum dedicated for "splint".i know this is not related with *kernel*,but thought that most of the people here would have used this utility,so thought i would get some help over here. Anyway in future i'll be more careful while sending my querries to this mailing list.

One issue which I would say _is_ kernel related though, is how much kernel programming involves lint-like tools like splint or FlexeLint, compared to application programmers. I have the impression that since kernel programming is more tight-nit (after all, the kernel, while big in a sense, is not by far as big as many application programs), and its operation critical for system performance, and hence more geared towards effeciency rather than formal correctness, that tools like *lint don't find too much favor among kernel programmers.

Any other opinions on this?

/Ricard