Re: GPLv3 / FSF vs. OSS/ TivO ?

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 11:14:06AM +0300, Momchil Velikov wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> >So we wrote up a little whitepaper about it.  If you wish to discuss any
> >of the specific points in that paper, please feel free to do so.
>
> Quote from "Kernel developers' position on GPLv3 "
> (http://lwn.net/Articles/200422)
>
> "... This in turn is brought about by a peculiar freedom enshrined in
> the developer contract as represented by GPLv2, namely the freedom from
> binding the end use of the project ..."
>
> I find tivoization violating this freedom.

How does what Tivo does, violate anything in GPLv2?

> "Finally, we recognise that defining what constitutes DRM abuse is
> essentially political in nature and as such, while we may argue
> forcefully for our political opinions, we may not suborn or coerce
> others to go along with them. Therefore, attempting to write these type
> of restrictions into GPLv3 and then relicense all FSF code under it is
> tantamount to co-opting the work of all prior contributions into the
> service of the FSF's political ends, and thus represents a fundamental
> violation of the trust outlined in section 4."
>
> Do you deliberately misrepresent the purpose of existence of FSF?   It's
> been created from the very beginning with the purpose of defending
> certain moral values, expediency having lower priority.  Violation of
> trust may occur only if you claim GPLv3 defends different moral values
> then GPLv2.  Is that what you claim?

The FSF has changed "moral values" over time, so you might want to ask
them.  Years ago, they thought what Tivo was doing was just fine and
dandy.  Now they don't.

And, even if you do think that what Tivo is doing is not nice, the way
that the v3 license words it all, is just wrong.  It provides escape
clauses for different types of hardware, and tries to make a
technological solution in a license, which is not a good thing for
anything that is going to exist for 20+ years.

That is proven out by the poll of 30 kernel developers, not all of which
agree on the whole "tivo is good" issue at all, but they _all_ agree
that the current version of v3 is not good.  That should mean a lot
here.

> And then, living on the Balkan Peninsula, I find the use of the term
> "Balkanisation" racist[1] and insulting.

I'm sorry you feel that way, you might take it up with Wikipedia which
defines the term at:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkanisation
as:
	Balkanization is a geopolitical term originally used to describe
	the process of fragmentation or division of a region into
	smaller regions that are often hostile or non-cooperative with
	each other. The term has arisen from the conflicts in the 20th
	century Balkans. The first Balkanization was embodied in the
	Balkan Wars, and the term was reaffirmed in the Yugoslav wars.

	The term is also used to describe other forms of disintegration,
	including, for instance, the subdivision of the Internet being
	divided into separate enclaves, and the breakdown of cooperative
	arrangements due to the rise of independent competitive entities
	engaged in "beggar-thy-neighbor" bidding wars.

	Balkanization is sometimes used to refer to the divergence over
	time of human languages, programming languages and data file
	formats (particularly XML).

No racial overtones were ment to be expressed at all, as the above
definition shows.  Can you provide a different term that describes the
same thing?

> In the end, I think you could have simply stated that you defend
> different set of values and GPLv3 is not compatible with your set of
> values (a.k.a. political views), instead of trying to represent yourself
> as "apolitical" and trying to undermine the public's trust in FSF.

Since when did we try to undermine the public's trust in FSF?  Since
when did any of us trust the FSF at all?  I sure never have, and neither
have most kernel developers.  We are just pointing out all of the
different problems that we have with the v3 drafts, and point out the
problems that are going to be caused if it is ratified as is.

Not to mention all the LGPLv3 issues that are going to happen for
distros, that's going to be a fricken mess...

It's coming down to the age old, "Free Software" vs. "Open Source"
arguments again, right?

See http://www.kroah.com/log/2006/09/28/ for an opinion on this, and see
http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003546.shtml for a member of the FSF
board saying that RMS needs to back up and consider the big picture.

Anyway, I've gotten tired of arguing this topic with people.  Let's wait
and see what the next v3 draft has in it to see if anything has changed
or not.

thanks,

greg k-h