Re: GPLv3 / FSF vs. OSS/ TivO ?

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Jakko Pastuchio wrote:

not true. this is a principle argument, not about whose system is hurt. we want to let companies the right to make secured hardware. it should be their choice - after all, it is their profit. if they think they can sell secured desktop, be our guests. as long as they contribute to the kernel and keep spreading it, it's fine.

I think part of the issue here is that Tivo have not contributed anything to the kernel, and while they do spread it, from the user's point of view he can't do anything more with it than with any proprietary os, so they've wiped out that advantage too.

/Ricard