Re: Real Time Behaviour

Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi wrote:
> Dear Jim/All,
>
> You are correct, What I was talking is not clear to.
>
> Scenario:
> =======
> We are building high preformance trading systems, which is processing
> 10000 transactions per second. Our trade information traverse through
> about 5-7 hops. We are trying to achive  about 10-50ms latencey in a
> execution for 90% of the transactions. Although this may sound
> extreme, the trading requirements are getting more & more tighter due
> to Electronic order generators coming into the picture.
>
> Currently there is very wide spread of the latency of the system
> (sometime going to 700ms)
>
> All the applciations are written the tight latency requirements in
> mind( No blocking call / No synchronous I/O etc..)
>
> In fact we have been able to succefully implement & benchmark the
> system in Solaris 5.9 with  RT scheduling and CPU binding with a very
> tight ( < 30 ms) latency for 90%.
>
> But we are struggeling to narrow down the numbers for Linux. Was it a
> bad choice to select Linux for RT applications.
>
> What can we do  to tune the 2.6 kernel to improve the figures.
>
> 1. When HZ=1000, Latencey < 2ms (best case)
> 2. When HZ=2000, Latencey < 1ms (best case)
> 3. Real Time or Low Latancey Patching

Try the RT patches that can be found at
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/

> Are there any other tuning nobe other than HZ....?
>
>> I must say, Im somewhat puzzled ..
>>
>> considering 1- trading system + 2- a 2.6.9 RHEL kernel,
>> this seems like a requirement put upon you by marketing in the hope of
>> making
>> it more palatable to big (corporate) buyers.
>>
>> Perhaps that explains your need to 'turn the HZ knob to eleven', when
>> its only labeled to 10.
>>
>> trading system does sound like soft-RT.  The plane doesnt crash if youre
>> 100ms late on the rudder / flaps / important things.
>>
>> Why arent you more concerned with thruput ?
>> Youre clearly killing thruput when the system cant even take care of its
>> own business (at HZ=4000)
>>
> Yh. I could not start the System with 4000HZ. I just got stucked at
> ...TIMER APIC initialization.
>
> Now running with 2000 HZ. Seems to be kernel is somewhat stable, not sure.

Sorry I overlooked the previous posts so I am not sure who made the
statement above, but it is not accurate. PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not the
ame as CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT. CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT requires additional patches
that I pointed to above.

--
   kr