Re: [linux-usb-devel] Fwd: USB device not getting detected.

> i am using 2.6.11,

Try to use a more current kernel.  Likely it won't matter
here, but 2.6.11 is over 18 months old by now ... :)

> and EHCI HCD. during boot up i get
> following message:
>
> "usb 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1"
>
> and after the system is up none of the USB device
> connected to USB port are detected.
>
> can you please tell me what over-current change mean.

USB devices can draw a certain amount of current, with
a maximum of 500 mA in high power configurations.

USB hubs, like root hubs, may be able to detect when
that current limit is exceeded; if so, it's reported
as an "over current" error.

> and Is this error responsible for my device not
> getting detected.

Likely.  When a port issues an overcurrent fault,
the device connected to it is disconnected.

We have seen cases where some USB controllers (EHCI and
UHCI, I don't recall it with OHCI) *wrongly* report such
over-current errors ... at least, "wrongly" in the sense
that no device is connected, so we think the motherboard
must be at fault, badly wired or whatever.

- Dave