Fwd: Real Time Behaviour

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jinesh K J <jineshkj.newsletters@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sep 18, 2006 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: Real Time Behaviour
To: Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi <tharindunix@xxxxxxxxx>

On 9/18/06, Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi <tharindunix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are there anyside effect, if we increase HZ value???

I think this has been discussed many times in the ML. HZ specifies the
timer tick (interrupt) rate. ie, the timer interrupt will be invoked
HZ number of times in a sec. It means that as we go on increasing the
HZ value, the CPU will spend more time in executing the intr handler
and thus reducing the cpu time available for any useful tasks.

But, this is not exactly the case with real time kernels where the HZ
is kept more to reduce the real time scheduling latency. But then, the
intr handler must be replaced with a more efficient one.