Re: 2.6 vs 2.4 kernel memory management question

Hi Alexander,

--- Alexander Burnos <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> your
> > >system
> that.
> > >
> > >AFAIK High Memory Support is for >4GB of RAM. Moreover there is a
> little
> >
> > No, no. HighMem is for > 1GB phys memory. You probably are talking
> about
> > PAE ?
>
> Yes, you're right. I was talking about PAE, anyway it isn't that case
> as
> I understand.
>
> > >bit another situation. When I have 600-1000Mb of RAM free, real
> memory
> > >that is used by applications is something near 1000-1400Mb (it's
> ok), but
> > >virtual
> >
> > So you are saying that there are times when phys-memory usage goes
> > significantly
> > above 1G memory. If that's the case then it defenitely is not an
> issue
> > with high mem.
>
> Yes, there are cases when phys-memory goes above 1G and even takes
> all 2G.
> There is no problem.
>
> > >memory is more than 2Gb. So system begin to swap, although real
> memory
> > >isn't overfilled.
> > >

> > What is getting swapped ? How did you find out that system is
> getting
> > swapped ?
>
> I think that it is getting swapped due to prense of kswapd in the
> 'top'
> of proccesses and increasing load on the file system (accordintly to
> vmstat
> output). In general system slows down, expecially it's notably on
> java
> applications perfomance.
>
> > I'm not an expert, but I've a feeling that you probably need to
> play
> > with some proc
> > variables. System memory pages can get swapped out if the amount of
> phys mem
> > ory falls below some limit. BTW which 2.6 kernel are you using..
>
> I think system 'see' that total virtual memory of applications is
> bigger than it has physical memory, so it begin preliminarily
> swapping
> to avoid situation of lack of memory or something like this.. I'm not
> expert too and this is just my guess.
>
> Can anybody tell me what man pages and /proc variables help me to
> resolve this issue?

Have you tried /proc/meminfo?

If you have the kernel source tree in your system, you can get more
info about /proc/meminfo in
linux-2.6.x/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt file.

You should implement a script to collect some key values from
/proc/meminfo in order to know when swap area is increasing and how the
size of physical memory behaves along the time.

BR,

Mauricio Lin.