Re: 2.6 vs 2.4 kernel memory management question

Hello!

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 01:59:09PM +0000, Anand H. Krishnan wrote:
> >> straight out of the head, 50% memory free means about a GB. Is your
> >system
> >> compiled with High Memory Support. If not, you can probably try that.
> >
> >AFAIK High Memory Support is for >4GB of RAM. Moreover there is a little
>
> No, no. HighMem is for > 1GB phys memory. You probably are talking about
> PAE ?

Yes, you're right. I was talking about PAE, anyway it isn't that case as
I understand.

> >bit another situation. When I have 600-1000Mb of RAM free, real memory
> >that is used by applications is something near 1000-1400Mb (it's ok), but
> >virtual
>
> So you are saying that there are times when phys-memory usage goes
> significantly
> above 1G memory. If that's the case then it defenitely is not an issue
> with high mem.

Yes, there are cases when phys-memory goes above 1G and even takes all 2G.
There is no problem.

> >memory is more than 2Gb. So system begin to swap, although real memory
> >isn't overfilled.
> >

> What is getting swapped ? How did you find out that system is getting
> swapped ?

I think that it is getting swapped due to prense of kswapd in the 'top'
of proccesses and increasing load on the file system (accordintly to vmstat
output). In general system slows down, expecially it's notably on java
applications perfomance.

> I'm not an expert, but I've a feeling that you probably need to play
> with some proc
> variables. System memory pages can get swapped out if the amount of phys mem
> ory falls below some limit. BTW which 2.6 kernel are you using..

I think system 'see' that total virtual memory of applications is
bigger than it has physical memory, so it begin preliminarily swapping
to avoid situation of lack of memory or something like this.. I'm not
expert too and this is just my guess.

Can anybody tell me what man pages and /proc variables help me to
resolve this issue?

--
WBR,
Alexander Burnos