Re: ICH6 question

On 9/6/06, Siddharth Taneja <siddharth.taneja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9/6/06, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Siddharth Taneja <siddharth.taneja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two SATA drives with an ICH6 SATA controller. I would like to
know
> > that if I were to operate the drives in PATA mode, what would happen if
> > enabled both ide/ata-piix and scsi/piix. I assume the drives would come
up
> > as both hda/hdb and sda/sdb. Is there a recommendation as to which
device
> > (or interface) to use?
> >
> > Also I set the bios settings for the SATA controller to AHCI and the
> > ide/ata-piix driver is still able to bring up the drives as hde/hdg. Why
is
> > that? Shouldn't the ide/ata-piix realise that this is not a mode it
> > supports?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Siddharth
> >
> Siddharth,
>
> I don't know the specific answers, but this whole area is in a state of
flux.
> 2.6.16 likely behaves different from 2.6.17 , which is different from
> 2.6.18, which will be different from 2.6.19.
>
> First, when multiple drivers are available for a single disk
> controller, only one of them should be used.  Using 2 or more can
> cause huge conflicts that could easily destroy data.
>
> Most of the drivers are specifically written to avoid the issue.  The
> first driver that recognizes a disk controller claims the controller
> and no other driver can claim it.  In dual functionality controller
> like the ICH6, I believe the 2 halves are claimed seperately.  ie. The
> PATA half can be controlled by drivers/ide and the SATA half can be
> controlled by drivers/libata.
>
> That can be difficult to make work smoothly, so there is an ongoing
> effort to do the below:
> 2.6.18 - Greatly improved libata (SATA currently) Error Handling
> 2.6.19 - Rename drivers/libata to drivers/ata as it is becoming the
> main ATA driver
> 2.6.19 - Add initial support for PATA drives to libata
>
> Thus when 2.6.19 comes out in a few months it will hopefully have the
> ability to better handle these dual function controllers.  It still
> may require proper setup of config due to there still being multiple
> drivers that support the same card.
>
> HTH
> Greg
> --
> Greg Freemyer
> The Norcross Group
> Forensics for the 21st Century

Thanks for your answers Greg. I think I should disable the ide/ata-piix
layer and only use my drives in the libata domain as it is becoming the
standard in any case.

So you think libata will completely replace the drivers/ide layer? I ask
this because I have another platform with two PATA drives and an ICH5
controller. Should I leave ide/piix enabled for that? (for accessing my
drives in PATA mode). Or should I use the PATA functionality from the libata
layer?

Thanks
Siddharth

There have been LKML posting explicitely stating that drivers/ide will
dissappear at some point in the future, but I suspect that will be a
year or two down the road.

With vanilla 2.6.17/18, I don't think there is much PATA support in
libata, but ICH5/6/7/8 may be special cases that are already supported
in libata bacuase of their popularity and dual nature.  (-mm should
have had most of the PATA drivers for a couple months now, so you
could try -mm if your in the mood.)

As of a couple of days ago, the #upstream branch of the libata git
repository had a large number of new PATA/libata drivers added to it.
Alan Cox has been doing the rewrite for the last year or so.

The new PATA drivers have been in -mm for testing, etc. for a while I
believe and are currently slated to merge into 2.6.19 vanilla.  The
recommendation in general is for users/distributions to use the older
drivers/ide drivers for a while yet.  At some point I'm sure the new
drivers will be recommended, and eventually the old ones will be
deprecated, etc.

You may want to be aware of http://linux-ata.org/ as a libata status page.

It tends to only get updated a couple times a year, but it is better
than nothing.

Also, you may want to read the thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=115736779014037&w=2

Especially the announcement e-mail.  Lots of the follow e-mails relate
to dual booting between the drivers for testing.  That may not have
any relevance for you.

HTH
Greg