ICH6 question

Hi,

I have two SATA drives with an ICH6 SATA controller. I would like to know that if I were to operate the drives in PATA mode, what would happen if I enabled both ide/ata-piix and scsi/piix. I assume the drives would come up as both hda/hdb and sda/sdb. Is there a recommendation as to which device (or interface) to use?

Also I set the bios settings for the SATA controller to AHCI and the ide/ata-piix driver is still able to bring up the drives as hde/hdg. Why is that? Shouldn't the ide/ata-piix realise that this is not a mode it supports?

Thanks

Siddharth