How can DMA help CPU to do other useful work when DMA is accessing memory?

This is a basic question,
As we know CPU sets the DMA registers and give the control of RAM to DMA for datatransfer.
When DMA is transferring data between RAM and Device, CPU can not access RAM. Without access to RAM(which has executalble code), how can CPU do any useful work during DMA datatransfer?
I have a second question, Is it that only devices connected to ISA buses can use DMA?

Regards,
Chandra