Re: Device driver registratation problem

Hi Jan Hudac,

Thanks for ur reply.

I want to write a block driver. And I am using linux kernel 2.6.
I have created a raw partation(Not Formated)  of 500 MB. And this raw partation has major no. 22 (for my HDD). And I want to write and read to this raw partation.

But I am unable to write on it. Bcoz it gives error while registering the block driver using this major no (22).

Can it be possible to register the existing major no to  another driver without creating dynamic major no.

If u have another soln then plz tell me.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vaibhav.

On 7/26/06, Jan Hudec < bulb@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 11:40:12PM +0530, Vaibhav Nipunage wrote:
> I want to write a Device driver. And I am facing some problem.
>
> Problem-:
> I have created a raw partition and it has major no 22. And I want to
> register this major no (22)  for my device driver. But it gives error like
> "register_blkdev : cannot  get major no 22".
>
> Can it be possible to register a previously assigned major no to new driver.

No, it's not. And it'c correct that way.

You need to send a lot more details as to what yyou are doing to get a
useful advice. Like driver for what device you want to write, for which
version of kernel, where you created the raw partition and what do you
mean by 'it has a major no 22'.

                                                - Jan Hudec `Bulb' < bulb@xxxxxx>