Re: Faster kernel boot

Thanks Om for the info!

Does anyone know why on some hardware with faster hard-disk the boot time is slower
than on other hardware?

Mounir

Om. wrote:
As I said, with another laptop with the same image it was really
faster.
And I solved the issue by using the "compact" option in /etc/lilo.conf.

Does anyone know exactly what this option is doing to make things go
real faster?

from http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/lilo.conf.5.html
compact
   Tries to merge read requests for adjacent sectors into a single
read request. This drastically reduces load time and keeps the map
smaller. Using `compact' is especially recommended when booting from a
floppy disk.

HTH.
Om