Re: insmod question.

--- Jinesh K J <jineshkj.newsletters@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/1/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 06:40 +0100, pankaj chauhan
> wrote:
> > > hi all,
> > >
> > > i have a module say my_mod.ko, which is composed
> > > two two binaries say my_mod1.o and my_mod2.o. I
> am
> > > trying to insmod this module on 2.6.11, which is
> > > compiled by gcc 3.4.3, If i compile my_mod1 and
> > > my_mod2 with gcc3.4.3 and my_mod.ko gets
> insmoded with
> > > no problems. But if my_mod2.o is compiled with
> gcc
> > > 2.95 then my_mod.ko does not get insmoded and it
> says
> > > "Invalid module format: unknown error 8".
> >

> > you really don't want to do that... it's a real
> pain to do this even;
> > you don't expect your users to have two compilers
> installed to compile
> > your module I hope...
> >
> > I strongly suggest that you fix the second part so
> that gcc 3.x and 4.x
> > can just compile it, so that more people are
> likely to use it... Again,
> > expecting users to have 2 compilers installed is
> ... asking too much.
> >
> > (and gcc 2.x and 3.x have a different ABI for some
> kernel things so you
> > really don't want to mix it; and more and more gcc
> 2.x workarounds are
> > being removed from the kernel now, so the chance
> that you'll hit a
> > compiler bug are getting really big)
> >

> BTW, how did you compile the two files differently?
> for 2.6 kernels,
> you've to use kbuild right? Can you please show me
> your Makefile.

In my case the restriction was that source code of one
of the  binaries was not available to me, and i had to
use APIs from that binary and it was compiled with gcc
2.95 and i was compiling rest of the files with gcc
3.4.3

> Thanks,
>
> Jinesh.

Vision without action is merely a dream, action without vision is wastage of time, vision and action together can change the world ....

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/