Re: Get all_bdevs from module?

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 13:02 +0900, NAHieu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having a kernel module, and I want to access to the list of
> block-devices. It seems the only way to do that is via all_bdevs.
> Unfortunately, all_bdevs is a static variable, and doesn't get
> exported.
>
> So how can I solve my problem?

Hi,

this is a highly "suspect" thing to want. For example, the locking and
refcounting rules for what you want are unlikely to be possible at all.
Now when I'm saying that that is just guesswork; you don't actually say
what you want this for... however nothing in the kernel currently does
this and that is a sign that something funky is going on, and also that
the locking and refcounting may well get really nasty..

If you really have a good case for this, then it's not impossible to get
this variable exported when you post the patch to merge your kernel into
the kernel.org kernel... but you should have a really good explanation
of why you need this, since again, it feels counter intuitive.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven