Re: Process memory

Hi Vijay,

I am little bit confused about the situation ur facing of losing disk space when u start executing a daemon. As far as i know this should not be the case provided, ur daemon process opens any file and writes to it.

Now to the other point of deleting the file once it starts executing is not at all recommened as there is a high potential of ur daemon crashing after some time. (This happens because of the paging mechanism which linux uses to load executable image into memory. There is a high possibility that even before the OS could load the entire process image into memory and  u deleted the .exe. So when the OS tries to load the remaining part of the .exe from the disk it wont find it.) Also there would arise problems because of swapping.

I feel the better way would be to tar(zip) the not so important files and delete the original's this would save u lots of disk space.

Regards
Titus

On 6/23/06, Florin Malita <fmalita@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Vijay Ram wrote:
>      memory from the main disk. Is there a way where we can force to
> load the entire code into the secondary
>      memory instead of the disk space ?? This may sound wierd, but in my
> case, the main disk space is more
>      expensive than the secondary memory. So once i load the entire code
> into the secondary memory while execution,
>      i want to delete the file from the main disk to make space on it.
>      Is this actually possible ?

Then why not use a tmpfs and run it from there? Of course you have to
deal with populating it first, but since you're ready to delete the
executable anyway I assume you have a plan ;)

--
fm

Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ:           http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/