Process memory

Hi all,
   I have a doubt regarding memory allocation.
   When i execute a user space program at the bash prompt as a daemon
   process, it occupies some memory. From where does this memory get
   allocated ? As far as i understand it is allocated from the RAM. When
   i execute df command, it displays the free space available as 10MB.
   While the process is executing as a daemon, the free space is
   displayed as 9MB. During the execution of this process. This 1MB
   being  critical for my application, i tried deletin the file while
   its executing. Though nothing hazardous has happened in execution,
   the free space did not become 10MB again. It still continued to show
   9MB while i expected the 10MB display(executable file size being 1MB)
   But if i kill that daemon process, it displays the 10MB again. Does
   this  mean that the files while execution does not occupy any space
   on RAM ??
   Can anyone help me in this understanding.

Thanks And Regards,
Vijay Ram.C

believed to be clean.