Re: Why Linux is not real time OS?

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and links.

I am sorry that I should have meant what I want to figure out is why
Linux is not a HARD REAL TIME OS, or in other words, a real RTOS.

I did google for some time, but most of the materials only indicates
Linux is a general OS, which cares its throughput more than the hard
real time performance of some tasks. However, what I feel interested
is, in the code level (or implementation level), which part of Linux
introduces the non-deterministc delay.

RTAI is based on ADEOS and registers itself ahead of Linux in the
interrupt pipeline. Therefore the hard real time performance of RTAI
tasks can be guaranteed since RTAI always gets the interrupts and
events before Linux and is able to determine whether to pass them to
Linux. So does it mean that the interrupt handlers in Linux cannot
guarantee hard real time?

As for the scheduling policy, I read from an "old" article saying the
Linux scheduler gives always some time for the low priority tasks to
run, which introduces some non-real-time delay for those tasks in need
of hard real time performance. I am just wondering whether the
scheduler in 2.6 kernel still has the same "feature".

Thank you all again,

and further information is welcome

Yang