getty process and terminal

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding a virtual console.
Right now, I am trying to implement a kernel module that will emulate
virtual console.
The goal is to replace some lines in inittab file such as from getty
ttyS1 to getty qtty1.

So my approach is thtat I pretty much wrap around pseudo terminal
routines. So when the user opens our module, it actually calls pseudo
terminal open operations.
Therefore, the open routine will be
- open master device
- open slave device
- keep both sides and return master side

But I could not figure out how I getty works with my module. This is
due to the fact that I could not understand the exact semantics of a
getty process under normal circumstances. I read an advanced
programming in the unix environment and some others but I still do not
have a clear picture.

Can anyone tell me how getty works and how my module should behave
when I try to open?

Thanks in advance,

Ilho <><

--
YES, JESUS LOVES YOU, TOO.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that