Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux Device Driver Kit available

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 05:05:17PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> Have you ever felt teased when driver developers of other operating
> systems teased you about a lack of a "proper" driver development kit for
> Linux?  Have you felt left out of the crowd when looking at the 36 cdrom
> package of documentation and example source code that other operating
> systems provide for their developers?  Well feel ashamed no longer!
>
> In coordination with the FreedomHEC[1] conference this week in Seattle,
> WA, USA, I'm proud to announce the first release of the Linux Device
> Driver Kit.
>
> It is a cd image that contains everything that a Linux device driver
> author would need in order to create Linux drivers, including a full
> copy of the O'Reilly book, "Linux Device Drivers, third edition" and
> pre-built copies of all of the in-kernel docbook documentation for easy
> browsing.  It even has a copy of the Linux source code that you can
> directly build external kernel modules against.
>
> It can be downloaded for free at:
>    kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/ddk/
>
> and all attendees of FreedomHEC will get a physical copy, for you to
> leave around your desk for other developers to envy.
>

> There's a few things that I would like to include in future versions of
> this cdrom:
>   - searchable index of all documentation.  jsFind looks like will work
>     for this, but due to time constraints, did not make this release.
>   - prettier web pages.  I acknolodge I'm no designer, anyone who wants
>     to fix up my sparse html with proper CSS support and images would be
>     greatly appreciated.
>   - More documentation.  Possible inclusion is a snapshot of the
>     kernelnewbies wiki.  As we have plenty of room, any pointers to
>     stuff that should be included is welcome.
>
> And of course, the image is released under the GPL v2 and can be copied
> freely.  There's a cdrom label included in the root directory if you
> wish to print it out.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

That's cool :)

Some suggestions :
	* It may be a good idea to build a lxr repo of the linux kernel source on
    	  the cdrom.
	* You said you have included the ldd 3rd versions : it would be
	  cool to also include the examples, rewritten for the 2.6.16.19
	  kernel (if some changes are needed and if someone takes the
	  time to do this job :))
	* Putting the kernelnewbies wiki is a very good idead

I have a lot of good docs in my mind, but I guess the 'linux VM
implementation' (for example) by Mel Gorman won't have his place on the cdrom, will he
?

--
tyler
tyler@xxxxxxxx

Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel.
Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set