Re: what do git,rc and mm mean?

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 10:04:12PM +0800, cheng long wrote:
> Hi, ALL
>
> I have seen three Linux kernel versions: git, rc, and mm.
> What do they mean? What's the differences among those version ?
>
> THX.
>
> Regards,
> Cheng
>
> --

Hi,

it's true that it's quit complex : there's a lot of subtrees.

As you probably know, linux stable versions of Linux are the 2.6.x
versions (thelast is 2.6.16).
Between 2 stable versions, there is a developpement step, which prepares
the next release. The -rc release are the "release candidate" : this
means that these could be the next release.

A lot of kernel developpers use a scm : git. The git release means that
these releases are from git.

Finally, the -mm tree is the tree of andrew morton. This tree influences a
lot the developpement of the kernel. This tree is less stable than the
2.6 : some new features are tested in it.

--
tyler
tyler@xxxxxxxx

Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel.
Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set