Re: Re: whats in swap? why am i using all of it?

Hi...

> But if a processes needs more ram, the kernel would take it from
> cache first right? Or do i have that wrong?

reclaiming from page cache...yes, it should be done. But maybe (just a
guess), the Linux MM (memory management) decides that the majority of
the pages in cache are still actively used, thus it should not be
purged too much.

> It would be nice to know what pages are in there, If its nothing but
> sutff that isn't going to ever go back on the run que then i wouldn't
> worry about it. But it would be nice to know what is in there.

Honestly, I am not aware of way to detect what kind of pages are inside
the swap area. It could be anything, except kernel code and some kernel
data since they are locked on RAM. But normally, most of current active
pages (pages that is actively read and written) stay on RAM. Only if
they are inactive longer that certain period, they are candidates to be
swapped out.

regards,

Mulyadi