Re: whats in swap? why am i using all of it?

Geez, you have s390? Can you give me a free SSH account? :) I heard
virtualization on s390 is ancient but one of the best in the world :)
Well its not mine, i just manage it

Actually, from kernel point of view, you have low free RAM. Somehow you
need to make the kernel dedicate lesser portion of RAM for page cache.
Too bad I can't find one, but the closest I can find is
/proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure. read
Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt for further explanations.

But if a processes needs more ram, the kernel would take it from cache
first right? Or do i have that wrong?

> 2 How do i tell whats in swap anyway. like a lot of memory management
> stuff there doesn't seem to be a easy way to tell.

Possibly it contains lots of swapped-out anonymous pages. For fun, try
something like:
strings -t x /dev/<your swap device> | head -30
and see in case you see your shell history there :)

It would be nice to know what pages are in there, If its nothing but
sutff that isn't going to ever go back on the run que then i wouldn't
worry about it. But it would be nice to know what is in there.

Eli