Re: Implementation of Virtual Memory on Linux

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:26:18AM +0530, pradeep singh wrote:
> >OOM stands for Out Of Memory. In the linux kernel, this problem is
> >handled by the OOM manager, which simply does the following :
> >check if there is enough memory avalaible, verify that the the system is
> >truly out of memory and then selects a process to kill.
> >
> >The process to kill is selected by the function select_bad_process(). It
> >tends to select a young process which takes a lot of memory.
> what i got from your explanation is that out of memory manager kills
> the process to make sure that memory is freed for a process which
> needs memory.
> But my doubt is when there is no memory at all how does OOM gets into
> memory in the first place?
> Am i missing something here?

If I understood correctly, you question is :
"if there is no memory, how can the oom killer be executed because it
needs memory too ?"

I suppose that's the question.

Well, oom manager is kernel code. Kernel code is always resident in the
memory (can never be swapped out).
So your problem cannot happen.

Other people, correct me if I'm wrong :)
--
tyler
tyler@xxxxxxxx

http://fr.mail.yahoo.com