Re: Problem with Kernel Compilation

On 5/5/06, Mukund JB. <mukundjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[please don't top-post]

I just download a MIPS kernel

I tried to start of with taking a backup of existing kernel config file
and issued # make oldconfig. It asked me lot of details, so I skipped
it.

If you copy in an old config as ".config" in the new kernel source dir
and run "make oldconfig" you should only be asked about options that
have changed or been added since your old kernel version.
You need to either run "make oldconfig" and answer all the questions,
or run "make menuconfig" (or "make config", "make xconfig" etc) and
configure the kernel from scratch.
Once configured, one way or another, just run "make" to build it.

And, when I issues # make dep, it failed saying
Its not the time to make dep.

Just run "make" to build the kernel. make takes care of the
dependencies. running "make dep" explicitly is a 2.4.x kernel thing,
not what you should do for a 2.6.x kernel.

Is there a separate way to compile the MIPS kernel.

It's been a long time since I've build a kernel for MIPS, but I
remember it as being pretty standard.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html