RE: Problem with Kernel Compilation

I just download a MIPS kernel

I tried to start of with taking a backup of existing kernel config file
and issued # make oldconfig. It asked me lot of details, so I skipped
it.

And, when I issues # make dep, it failed saying
Its not the time to make dep.

Is there a separate way to compile the MIPS kernel.

Regards,
Mukund Jampala

modules_install".