calling on authorities

Hi group,

I've taken this problem to gentoo-user who can usually suggest a fix for a problem--but not this time.

In a nutshell, modprobe looks in the wrong dir when the PC boots. I won't bore you with all the detail(well, maybe some of it). You could look in the archive for this past week under "modprobe looks in wrong dir" for even more :)

It all started when I did a portage --sync then emerge -Du gentoo-sources. I noticed that /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 had been overwritten by an empty page. So I reloaded it. And re-booted.

Keep in mind that I had not compiled the new kernel yet. I was still using 2.6.12-r6

When it booted some of the modules failed to load. In dmesg these were flagged with Unknown symbol< >...disagrees about version of symbol < >... errors. These were almost all net modules. ppp_async, ppp_generic, unix, forcedeth, 8250 etc. Sound modules, USB modules, agp modules all loaded successfully.

Someone said save .config do a make mrproper and recompile. Did not work. #modules-update did not work. #emerge -Du glibc/gcc did not work.

So I compiled the new, 2.6.16-r3 kernel did a make && make modules_install. And updated the symlink to point to the new sources. And copied over bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz. Like always.

This time, even more modules failed to load: nvram and ie3374(?) IIRC.

But the PC *does* boot and allow me to log in.

Then I ran uname and modprobe and noticed it was still using the old kernel.

But that's very strange because it actually boots from the new kernel which I configured and compiled while in the dir with the new sources. And $ls /lib/modules displays both module dirs, the *.12* and the *.16*

One clue?  When I ran #gcc-config, according to my notes it gave me an error:

could not locate i686-pc.linux-3.44 in '/etc/env.d/gcc'

But that was because it should have been looking for *3.45. I don't recall exactly what I did next but after I did what I did #gcc-config didn't complain.

Can someone help me?

-Maxim