Re: Technical Reason for Virus affecting both Linux and Windows

On 4/25/06, Gaurav Dhiman <gauravd.chd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:32:00AM +0530, Gaurav Dhiman wrote:
> > > Here is more on it ..... the actual technical reason, why it did not
> > > work as expected on Linux Kernel.
> > >
> > > Have a look:
> > > http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/18/1941251
> >
> > Note that this is now fixed so the virus will "work" on the latest
> > 2.6.16-stable kernel release :)
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Can you explain in bit detail, what was happening earlier.
> I got some idea that the register value was changed by Assembly code
> generated for sys_ftruncate() by GCC, but how it was not allowing the
> virus to act. Also do explain if you know what virus was intented to
> do.
>
> Also please put some light, can sytem call be invoked by some other
> mechanisum also other than int 0x80 ? (as mentioned in this or some
> other articles). I am in impression that system call can be done
> through only one entry of IDT and that is 0x80th entry, am I wrong ?

There's also then 'sysenter'/'syscall' instructions.
An explanation can be found here (just one of many google can find
you) : http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-4.html#ss4.6

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html