Re: controlling LED's on USB flash drives

On 4/18/06, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:22:50AM +0530, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:

> > > No, there is no way to control it, it's up to the device itself.
> >
> > Well, Greg, the reason I was asking was because I wanted to know if the LED
> > of my drive could be switched off when I umount it. In windows I noticed that
> > the LED is switched off when the drive is ready to be unplugged. Is it that they
> > might be removing power to the drive? Could we acheive a similar result?
>
> Yes, Windows is removing power to that specific port.
>
> And yes, we can also do that if you want (unloading the whole USB host
> controller driver is overkill and not recommended, as it will prevent
> any other USB device from working in your machine.)
>
> See the archives of the linux-usb-devel and linux-pm mailing lists for a
> pointer to a program that lets you turn off the power for some USB hub
> ports (note that it will not work on all hardware.)

Just one more question...before I go on my "hunt for the RED OKTOBER(LED)" :)

Does "unmounting" mean the device can no longer be used? because it
makes sense to
turn off the LED only then...to indicate that the system no longer
recognizes this device.

Or is that we still do some raw I/O from/to it? Then I think switching
off the LED is not
the right thing to do.

> good luck,

thanks. I'll need loads fo it!