controlling LED's on USB flash drives

Hi all,

How does one control the behavior of the LED's present on the various usb
flash drives. Is it controlled solely by software or is it like that
the usb host controller
controls the LED's operation. eg: when I write to my flash drive the
the LED blinks.
Is this done via some usb driver or does the usb host controller does
that for us
when we issue a write command to the drive? Is usbled.c under drivers/usb/misc
responsible for controlling this operation? Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks,
-mandeep