Re: passing device parameters to driver

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:51:58 -0800, Sanjay Acharya wrote:
> Bahadir Balban wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >How do I best pass parameters to a driver about my device at
> >compile-time, by device->platform_data? (it's going to be an in-kernel
> >driver).
> >
> >It is a network device and the parameters are the PHY address and a
> >MAC address to optionally override the MAC stored in EEPROM. There may
> >also be more parameters eventually.
> >
> How about passing parameter name-value pairs using the -D option in your
> makefile? Not sure if thats the one you want...

Have you ever seen kernel build system?

If you want to add compile-time options, that's what the config thing is
for. Each directory can have a file (Configure, or something like that)
where it describes compile-time options it wants. There can then be set
by make menucoding or make qconfig (or the other *config targets).

However, the above option should NOT be compile-time. Either implement
appropriate IOCTL so it can be set by ifconfig, or at least implement
driver parameters (there are some macros like mod_param to declare
them -- i don't recall which variant is current, as there are some
obsolete ones as well).

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>