Re: PCI DMA - memory-to-io data transfer

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 02:15 -0800, munees waran wrote:
> Hi Arjan,
>
> once the system boots up, memory and IO regions will be allocated to
> PCI card. PCI card doesn't have bus master feature.
>
> If I want to read data from memory or IO regions,  memcopy() only be
> used. Or can i use motherboard dma to transfer the data ?

there is no motherboard dma engine that is usable (the ISA bus one does
not count, that can't reach the PCI bus and can only deal with the lower
16Mb of addresses)

> memcpy_from_io() is just reading from io region and copying to memory
> using normal transfer method. Pls help me to resolve this.

you need memcpy_from_io() and not memcpy() because it's from an io
range; memcpy() would not be correct (it might work, or rather, appear
to work but isn't a good idea since it's not portable to other
architectures and maybe not even future x86)