tracing packets from wire up to the network stack

Hi,

I am trying to debug an ethernet card's pci transactions. What I want
to make sure is that whatever packets received on the ethernet bus
reaches the main memory correctly with no corruption. So far debugging
did not go very well, because I tried to trace packets in the ethernet
driver level, and obviously there are so many of them.

What I would like to do is, see the big picture, i.e. send some
precise (preferably a large chunk of) data on the bus, and display
what's received on the host via hexdump.

For example, is there a point in the stack where all packets
accumulate, for a particular TCP (or udp) connection? Would it be
reasonable to export these accumulated data via debugfs and read them?

Or maybe it will serve the same purpose if I open a custom socket in
userspace, read what's received that way?

Many thanks,
Bahadir