Re: maximum kernel addres space and its implication to user space memory allocation

On 1/22/06, Roman I Khimov <rik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
21 января 2006 22:43 | Fawad Lateef:
> Although I never tried/installed linux without swap space (partition)
> but I think that if there isn't any swap partition available then the
> root partition will be used for swap space too ... please CMIIW ! And
> if its correct then it will again allow user application to allocate
> more memory then avaialble physically :) (but do tell me if its not
> correct)

I think it's not the case, never heard of automatic swapping into root
partition in Linux. You can add some swap in file, but you should do it
manually (theoretically one can even write some simple daemon, that will
monitor memory usage and add swap files in critical situations). If there
is no swap and no free memory then OOM killer will do it's job and kill
memory hog.

Thanks for making me clear about this :)

--
Fawad Lateef