From: Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@xxxxxxxxx>
To: satheesh paul <satheesh_kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: idoit.ief@xxxxxxxxx, fawadlateef@xxxxxxxxx, rabhagat@xxxxxxxxxx, kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: kernel development environment
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:35:30 +0100

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 14:28 +0530, satheesh paul wrote:
> Tayseer,
> BDI2000 costs  1,360.00 !!!! That is more than 1 lakh /- !!! Do you guys

Sorry but that's the cheapest AFAIK. There are others out there
(Lauterbach) which cost 7.000 .- â&#8218;¬ (but I didn't check recetnly).

> know anyother cheap alternates? Or are all the kernel developers using such
> high-end stuff?

You need the JTAG stuff only if you do real bootloader development on
these boards (and not even necessarily then depending on the way you
test).
If you never touch the bootloader, you will (probably) never need a BDI
or similar.
So for Kernel development as such, forget the BDI IMHO. Get a board
which "supports Linux" (which pretty much every board does).
On this you boot the Kernel from the net and mount the root-fs via NFS.
Voila.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services

Shah Rukh fan? Know all about the Baadshah of Bollywood. On MSN Search http://server1.msn.co.in/profile/shahrukh.asp