Re: kernel development environment

On 1/19/06, satheesh paul <satheesh_kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,
How does one setup a kernel development environment? (Cheapest,of course). I
was looking at a few ARM9 SBCs and I could not figure out what tools I'll be
needing to get the kernel ported or for device driver development. When I
google, I find people mentioning JTAG. Will a cheap JTAG interface be
sufficient to debug/FLASH an SBC? Will GCC/GDB work with them? I guess they
do but I need to get it confirmed from people who already use it.

Basically I need to learn kernel porting. I just want to know how you people
are doing it. I don't want buy something and later find out it cannot be
used.

most probably you won't need porting the kernel cause ARM is already supported by the linux kernel
you can check the /src/arch/arm subtree for the supported processors
if you wanna run MMU-less ARM Microcontrollers you've to consider using uclinux "www.uclinux.org" which is a port of linux kernel to many MMUless Mc and ARM is well supported also
hope this helps

MHD.Tayseer

With Regards,
Satheesh.

Sexy, sultry, sensuous. - see why Bipasha Basu is all that and more. Try MSN
Search http://server1.msn.co.in/Profile/bipashabasu.asp

Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ:           http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/