kernel development environment

Hi All,
How does one setup a kernel development environment? (Cheapest,of course). I was looking at a few ARM9 SBCs and I could not figure out what tools I'll be needing to get the kernel ported or for device driver development. When I google, I find people mentioning JTAG. Will a cheap JTAG interface be sufficient to debug/FLASH an SBC? Will GCC/GDB work with them? I guess they do but I need to get it confirmed from people who already use it.

Basically I need to learn kernel porting. I just want to know how you people are doing it. I don't want buy something and later find out it cannot be used.

With Regards,
Satheesh.

Sexy, sultry, sensuous. - see why Bipasha Basu is all that and more. Try MSN Search http://server1.msn.co.in/Profile/bipashabasu.asp