Devices, IRQs and handlers

Hi,

I am confused about the mapping between devices, IRQs and the handlers. I am following Robert Love's "Linux Kernel Development" book.

1. I see that different handlers can share the same IRQ with SA_SHIRQ flag. So does it mean there can be different interrupt handlers for the same device...? As I think each device has a unique IRQ ( strict 1-to-1 mapping between device and its IRQ ).

2. Related to the first question, can different devices share the same IRQ ?

3. Regarding dev_id parameter, is it unique to each device ? I mean is each device has a strict 1-to-1 mapping with dev_id ?

Please explain.

Thanks,
Rajaram.

Yahoo! Photos