Re: Interrupts & IDT on i386

Hi

[ Top-posting is a bad idea. Please don't. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-post ]

Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli wrote:

>         The Processor gets interrupts through the PIC 8259A. Hence
> during bootup we reprogram the 8259A to remap the IRQs from 0-31 range
> to a more reasonable range.

I'm not sure of the state of the 8259A at bootup (not sure it maps IRQs
to interrupts 0-31), but anyway, you need to program it to redirect IRQs
to a range of processor interrupts that are available.

> For Example if we have an interrupt for an NIC, it will be shown as,
> lets say, 17 in the PCI config space. But the 8259A (when we reprogram
> it manually in the kernel) will remap it to some value like 49 or so.
> So while registering the IRQ we use the same number 17 only to
> register it. which is why ifconfig & /proc/interrupts show the number
> - 17. The actual interrupt handler descriptor is placed at Index of 49
> in the IDT.

You got it.

Sincerly,

Thomas