udev database file .udev.tdb created as file not as a directory

Hello all,

I am running RH EL4 distro.  I have upgraded the
kernel to 2.6.12.4, and the udev package to 0.71.
>From my understanding, after reboot, the udev db
directory should be created as follows -
/dev/.udev.tdb  , but however, what ends up happenning
is that a file called  /dev/.udev.tdb is created.

# ls -l /dev/.udev.tdb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1752 Dec 14 02:16
/dev/.udev.tdb

Is it wrong the .udev.tdb is created as a file, and
not a dir.  I get error  messages in the
/vag/log/messages such as - udev_db_add_device: unable
to create db file
'/dev/.udev.tdb/class@misc@device-mapper'

My /etc/udev/udev.conf is as follows:

# udev.conf
# The main config file for udev
#
# This file can be used to override some of udev's
default values
# for where it looks for files, and where it places
device nodes.
#
# WARNING: changing any value, can cause serious
system breakage!
#

# udev_root - where in the filesystem to place the
device nodes
udev_root="/dev/"

# udev_db - The name and location of the udev
database.
udev_db="/dev/.udev.tdb"

# udev_rules - The name and location of the udev rules
file
udev_rules="/etc/udev/rules.d/"

# udev_permissions - The name and location of the udev
permission file
udev_permissions="/etc/udev/permissions.d/"

# default_mode - set the default mode for all nodes
that have no
#                explicit match in the permissions
file
default_mode="0600"

# default_owner - set the default owner for all nodes
that have no
#                 explicit match in the permissions
file
default_owner="root"

# default_group - set the default group for all nodes
that have no
#                 explicit match in the permissions
file
default_group="root"

# udev_log - set to "yes" if you want logging, else
"no"
udev_log="yes"

Thank you,
Aha.