kernel panic fix sought

Hi, I've taken this to the gentoo-user list without success so far.

The problem is a kernel panic I can't seem to find the cause for. grub finds the drive OK:

grub>kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6
        [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x120,size=0x1463b31]

The fs on / is reiserfs and yes, reiser support is _in_ the kernel. I can mount the drive from another gentoo distro, chroot to it and run programs, pon, emerge nano etc. Just can't boot into it. The drive is a SATA and the appropriate config option NV_SATA is compiled _into_ the kernel. It appears in dmesg:

sda1 sda2 <sda5 sda6 sda7>

sda1 is WinXP, which boots OK. sda2 is my gentoo boot partition and grub has no problem w/ that either. 5 is swap and 7 is /home.

The last coherent boot console message is

Using IPI shorcut mode

then the panic:

Kernel Panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)

That block number changes depending on what other drives are present on the system but the Panic occurs nonetheless.

Any help appreciated.

Gil