Re: compiling the kernel not using (linux, gcc)

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:32:09 +0200, MHD.Tayseer wrote:
> Jan Hudec wrote:
> >>i'll read about those extensions .. but if it's a calling convention
> >>attribute, can anyone fool the compiler to change the way it do a
> >>function call ? is it possible ?
> >
> >It's not fooling. It's a gcc feature. Gcc can add specific attributes
> >that change calling convention for particular function. That is mainly
> >how many arguments will be passed in registers.
> >
> >One could workaround this for a compiler that does not support it -- the
> >only place where calling convention is significant is asmlinkage and
> >there it's enough to properly adapt the assembly calling it to the
> >calling convention given compiler uses.
> >
> i was meaning fooling my proprietery compiler and changing it's calling
> conventions, not fooling gcc .. maybe my words was not clear ..

As I said, you should not need to fool the compiler to use particular
calling convention. You just need to adapt the assembly parts (which you
need to rewrite for your target anyway) to the calling convention your
compiler uses.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>