Re: kernel is in DMA_ZONE

On 10/30/05, Brady Pejerrey <bapemos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  it's maybe a stupid question. but. ..
>
>  if DMA_ZONE contains all page frames below first 16MB of physical memory
> and, the kernel is loaded above first 1MB of physical memory.
>
>  then the kernel physical page frames are in the DMA_ZONE ?

I am pasting a paragraph from the book "Understanding the Linux VM
Manager by Mel Gorman" chapter 3, topic 3.7.2 :

 the kernel image is located at the physical address 1MiB, which of
course translates to the virtual address PAGE_OFFSET + 0x00100000, and
a virtual region totaling about 8MiB is reserved for the image, which
is the region that can be addressed by two PGDs. This would imply that
the first available memory to use is located at 0xC0800000, but that
is not the case. Linux tries to reserve the first 16MiB of memory for
ZONE_DMA, so the first virtual area used for kernel allocations is
actually 0xC1000000. This is where the global mem_map is usually
located. ZONE_DMA will still get used, but only when absolutely
necessary.

I hope this will make you clear ! and for more detail __please__
consult the above Book ...

--
Fawad Lateef