BSS Offset in 2.6

Is there any way to find the offset of the start and end of the BSS
segment by looking at the vmlinux kernel binary.

I've found that the offsets can be found in the 2.4 vmlinux by looking
at the associated system.map file and searching for the address of the
_bss_start and _end symbols in the uncompressed kernel binary, but I
cannot find these in the 2.6 binary using the same technique.

I these offsets are not stored in the kernel how does it know where it's
BSS segment is?

Thanks
Jeremy