when does a process sleep in reading a file from disk?

Hi,

I was looking at the code of linux 2.6 file systems, and cannot find the
code that make the current process sleep when it performs a synchronous
read. My understanding is, a process will turn to sleep if the content it
tries to read is not in the cache. I thought that the process might be put
in the request->waiting queue, but after a long time searching, I cannot
find such code. So my question is, if a process is going to sleep for
reading something from disk, when and where this sleep happens? I am new
to this list, and thanks for any help :)