Re: newbie

On 10/24/05, Devendra Singh Mahra <devendra.sm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>       I am new to the field of kernel development. Can anyone please tell me
> about the skills that one must possess, for making any modification to
> existing file system. Any information about any resource which explains
> linux file system development from the programmer's point of view and serves
> as a step by step guide will be of help. If anyone can guide me about how to
> go about to modify any linux/unix file system, it will be great help.

For working on File-System you first have to understand the VFS Layer
in the kernel (search google for VFS documents) because VFS actually
provides functions/methods (API) to file-system for interaction with
the kernel and user space. You can also first create Virtual File
System (one with-out any storage), for this consult "ramfs" in kernel
fs directory and http://lwn.net/Articles/57369/

You can also start with the FUSE (File System in User Space), its now
merged in 2.6.14-rcX series kernel .....

By the way, what kind of modification you want to do in existing file-systems ?

--
Fawad Lateef