newbie

Hi all,
     I am new to the field of kernel development. Can anyone please tell me about the skills that one must possess, for making any modification to existing file system. Any information about any resource which explains linux file system development from the programmer's point of view and serves as a step by step guide will be of help. If anyone can guide me about how to go about to modify any linux/unix file system, it will be great help.

thanks in advance .

Devendra