Re: The need of swap partition while installing linux

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 08:29:40 +0300, Ozan Türky?lmaz wrote:
> On 03/10/05, Libin Varghese <libinv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    My question is why do we need the swap partition?
> >
> > I seem to be asking the wrong group, I will really appreciate if anyone
> > could give me the mail id for the linux setup mailing list.
> >
> as Libin said you don't need one. but modern(!) linux distros' install
> system uses a lot of grafics lately (first of all they use x window
> and some kind of install program that uses x to show grafics). but if
> you slackware you don't really need one. but having one speeds up the
> process.

Well, there is a reason to have a swap even if you don't seem to need
it, because you have plenty of memory. There is always a lot of data in
memory, that is used very rarely. And lot of other data, that are read
from disk more often. So by having swap you allow the virtual memory
manager to get rid of the rarely used data and use the memory for
caching the file data instead.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>