Re: sysfs's wrong entry ?

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 09:52:51AM -0400, Florin Malita wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 08:19:46 -0700
> Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What did Linux Journal say?
>
> "Recently, however, kernel folks realized that one of the SysFS
> directories had been put in the wrong place: /sys/block, it was felt,
> should really have been /sys/class/block instead. Too late! A great
> mass of user code already had come to rely on the existing directory
> location. Greg Kroah-Hartman reluctantly had to admit that the SysFS
> inconsistency could not be repaired. The first spot of age has appeared
> on the pristine face of SysFS."
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8231
>
> Are they putting words into your mouth? :)

Not at all, I remember what I said, and I don't think I said it
"reluctantly" at all. :)

So, what's the problem?  If people remember, /sys/block came way before
/sys/class, so it deserves to be in that location.  Combine that with
the fact that the current class code _can not_ even handle the way
/sys/block is set up, means that it could not even be moved right now.

And then theres the fact that no one has sent me patches to do so...

greg k-h