Re: permissions in sysfs

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 05:12:44PM +0200, Surrel Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a driver which registers a number of device attributes in
> sysfs. The permissions are set when calling DEVICE_ATTR macro.
> My concern is that the users of that driver might be willing to set
> different permissions for the device (for security reasons). Some of the
> attributes fall under these security reasons and should therefore have
> the same permissions as the file in /dev.
> Is there a way to do that ?

Do what?  Have userspace change the permissions and have them stick?
Yes, that will work.

Or have the kernel change the permissions later on?  Yes, we have a
function for that, sysfs_chmod_file().

> Is there any other security feature provided by sysfs ?

What else do you want?

> Am I wrong implementing security sensible calls through sysfs ?

I don't understand what you mean by this.

> individual named.

Sorry, you just sent this to a publicly archived list, which is not
confidential at all...

greg k-h